Thursday, August 31, 2017

Featured Live Music Artist of the Week - Tuesday Knight




So, to be honest, the "live" part of this really only applies to one song, but even music from CDs was live - live in the studio - so this all counts.

Fair warning - this is one of my "long-winded" reviews, but please indulge me - it all ties together.

To horror fans, Tuesday Knight is known for a couple of things - 1) Her role as Kristen in Nightmare On Elm Street 4 (and also playing herself in New Nightmare) and 2) Singing the theme song, "Nightmare" for Nightmare on Elm Street 4.

However, Tuesday has many more film credits than just the Nightmare franchise, and she also has many many more songs than just "Nightmare". And, I'll be the first to admit it - I had no idea about the song part. I knew she sang the theme, but really that is all I knew about her music career.

It just so happened that one of the features of the 2017 Flashback Weekend HorrorCon was that Tuesday would sing "Nightmare" live just before the outdoor screening of Nightmare 4. How freaking cool is that?!?!?!

So, earlier that same day, I went to her booth on the convention floor to get a selfie and autograph, and I commented about how cool it's going to be seeing her sing "Nightmare" live. She was super nice, very friendly, and very genuine. After a few minutes of talking, her husband asked if I knew more about her music. I sheepishly said "Sorry, I really don't". So, we talked a bit about it, and she happened to have a pre-release of her newest CD, "Uncovered" along with the EP CD "Nightmare", which had "Nightmare" (duh), a few different mixes of "Nightmare" and some other songs. I decided to purchase the pre-release CD - why not, what a cool chance to get something before the public - I love music, Tuesday seemed very nice - figured I couldn't lose. Thinking I had brought my portable CD player with me, I said that I would listen to it that day.

Fast forward to that evening. The cast of Nightmare 4, including Mrs. Knight and Robert Englund, did a brief live intro to the movie - and then the cast left the makeshift stage - and the "Nightmare" music began. Tuesday Knight, standing front and center to an audience that was glued on her - like convention fans will be. She started singing and, immediately, right out of the box was knocking it out of the park. She was hitting the high notes, she was grooving, she was walking back and forth across the stage - hitting every lyric exactly as we all remembered it from the movie. No signs of nerves whatsoever (I would imagine it would be a little nerve wracking performing in front of this audience that memorizes every word to movies they love) and she rocked it for the entire length of the song - making the outdoor gathering feel like a large scale concert. She finished the song to a standing ovation!

Fast forward again, the next day, I headed back to her table and complimented her on the performance - and immediately bought the other 2 CDs that I had not bought the day before. Sold on the strength of her live performance - and her voice. The 3 CDs are titled "Faith", "Nightmare" and "Uncovered".

Sadly, when I got back to my room that first night, turns out that I did NOT bring my portable CD player - so when she asked me what I thought about the CD, I had to admit my failure. But when I got home I transferred them all to my iPod and listened to them on my way to the Fest For Beatles Fans convention the next weekend. And, I was SO BLOWN AWAY by her sound, that her CDs became my in-room music for the entire Beatles event - and that says a lot, because usually, it's Beatles music.

Her sound across the CDs varies from not only CD to CD but from track to track. And variety is a good thing always. I'm not a fan of categorizing artists, but to help explain her music - it's like Rock & Roll, Pop, Groove/Dance, and "New" Country all rolled together. Each song has an element of those items, some songs are little more of one than the other. Her sound is uniquely Tuesday Knight, which is why I don't like to compare her to other singers, because it does a disservice to her own style - but I kinda see it as a great mixture of Blondie, Pat Benatar, Heart, and Shania Twain. All of the songs are excellent - including the novelty mixes of "Nightmare" - and she even throws in a cover song here and there, with her own very unique interpretation on them.

It's hard to pick a "favorite" song, because they are all good - but of course "Nightmare" is in the running - and I have to admit - I enjoy the attitude in "Sorry Bout That" (from her newest CD, "Uncovered") - makes me smile each time I listen to it.

If you like music, if you like to expand your collection, and if you like the "Nightmare" franchise - I'd suggest picking up some Tuesday Knight CDs.

By the way, even more important than all of my opinions about her music - she is really a class act. One of the nicest people I've ever met at any convention. Genuine and friendly. Glad I had a chance to meet her and to see her perform!!


No comments:

Post a Comment