Thursday, December 14, 2017

Our long-standing Holiday Tradition - Erika Amato's "A Merry Little Christmas"



[We first published this in December of 2014, and we republished in December of 2015, and again in December 2016, and again this year] 

Why do we keep republishing this?  Because in my honest opinion, this is the best Christmas CD I have ever - ever - ever owned.
.
.
.
In the past, we have focused on Live Performances in this feature - but this week we are going to focus on a CD and a singer.

I have only seen Erika Amato perform live in a stage version of Flashdance - and on TV on stage at "The Bronze" with her band, Velvet Chain.  I was uber-impressed both times!  Heck, if it wasn't for that show at "The Bronze", I never would have discovered Velvet Chain.

About a year or two ago, I purchased a solo CD that Erika did called "A Merry Little Christmas" - which is available online here (the official Velvet Chain/Erika Amato webpage).

This is BY FAR THE BEST Christmas album I have ever heard since I was a kid.  It's not fair to compare this to the Christmas albums of my childhood, as those will always have a special place in my heart and will always bring back memories.  But, "A Merry Little Christmas" by Erika Amato is the best collection of Christmas songs I have heard since then - hands down - period - no discussion!

It's not just the selection of songs, but Erika's amazing, dare I say it - Angelic- voice coupled with amazing music, that makes this CD great.  The CD consists of absolutely beautiful (a word I only use when absolutely necessary, like now) music and an amazingly beautiful voice that just becomes one with the music.  It's like music+singer=perfection.

The sound is a great combination of classical and jazz - and even some rock, with piano, strings, brass, and probably instruments I am not trained enough to appreciate.  I can't say this enough, absolutely perfectly arranged around and together with Erika's absolutely amazing - angelic - voice.

It's not just the obvious talent that shines here, but the Christmas feeling is embedded in the music and the vocals.  It's not just some singer covering Christmas tunes - it IS Christmas.  The Christmas spirit can be felt within these songs - these songs bring Christmas to life.  There is no way to listen to this CD and not be filled with the Christmas spirit.  No lie - I could play this CD non-stop from Thanksgiving until New Year's and never grow tired of it - never.

My personal favorite (thought they are all my favorites, but if I had to choose) is "Christmastime Is Here", a song many will recognize from the Charlie Brown Christmas movies. It is probably the best rendition I have ever heard and is done with complete respect for the original.  (Of course, I won't lie - the Charlie Brown version will always be my most favorite - but WOW does this come close to replacing it in my heart!)

Songs on the CD :
White Christmas
Santa Baby
What Child Is This?
Merry Christmas Darling
Carol Of The Bells
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Silver Bells
Christmastime Is Here
O Holy Night
The Christmas Song

Again - this is available online at the Erika Amato's official site

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment